Thursday, August 4, 2011

Anna in Venice

So I finally got to see my little sister, albeit for a brief 48 hours. The last time I saw her was over the Easter weekend back in April, so four months apart and chatting via skype has been torturous. At the moment she is on a Topdeck tour of Europe with an incredible bunch of people who I was able to meet on Sunday and Monday. That is one thing I love about Europe. Public transport is just so easy to use. In two hours I am in Venice.

Monday was our only full day together, and instead of doing the usual hustle and bustle of Venice itself ,we opted to head to Murano, the glass making capital of the Venetian area, along with a friend of Anna's, Kate. The weather was incredible, and after a short ferry ride frm St Mark's square we were on the island. We watched a glass blowing demonstration (which was amazing to see) and then explored . I loved the fact that it was so quiet. Nothing close to the crazy crowds and busy narrow corridors of Venice. It seemed so much cleaner and quainter, and hadn't been tainted by the masses of tourists that suffocate Venice. in the Summer Don't get me wrong, Venice is an incredible spectacle; there's nothing like it. But Murano is definitely a place I would recommend if you keen on seeing a different side to the area. It's worth a visit.

Saying goodbye was once again hard, but I can't wait to meet up with Anna again for another adventure. Not sure when or where this will be, but I nevertheless, I can't wait...


Glass blowing demonstration

Small fishing boat on the main canal

Kate and Anna in Murano

No comments:

Post a Comment