Monday, May 16, 2011

Honey collecting...


On Saturday I was treated to something pretty special. We drove up into the surrounding hills of Valpolicella and went collecting honey. It seems like its a hobby of the Ceradini family, as we were met by Franco's brother and nephew as well. I was explained the process of the honey making, the role the queen bee plays in the hive and the general operation of the entire hive. It was a fascinating morning, besides the two stings I received (the only person to get stung).

Leonardo (Franco's brother) has a small stone cottage up in the hills. Built in 1896, it is made from old granite rock and because it is wedged into the side of the hill, it is three storeys high. Before lunch we chopped and prepared wood for the winter season, and afterwards I was treated to a phenomenal meal of grilled salsiccia, gorgonzola and fresh salad from the small vegetable patch. Once again I was taken through an entire tasting of the Veronese wines, and then explained the importance of them in the Italy itself. I also was lucky enough to taste a prize bottle of Recioto, the local "sweet wine" from here. It is amazing how passionate the Italians are about where they are from within the country, it really is a big deal. Hence Recioto, being typical of the Veneto area, was poured with great pride!

When we were about to leave, Leonardo pulled me aside, kissed me on both cheeks and then said something to me in Italian which I will probably never forget.

"Sei uno di noi!"

You are one of us.

Claudio with the first hive.


The door to the old stone cottage.


The lunch spread.


From left to right: Matteo, Leonardo, Claudio and Franco.

No comments:

Post a Comment